Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day by Day

I just got back from my last trip of the semester on Tuesday
It was such an amazing trip 
and one that I had been looking forward to since I found out I was studying in Chile
2 friends and I ventured off to the Patagonia
 for a 5 day hike in Torres del Paine national park
Im not going to lie I was super nervous about this before we left
you see im not in the best shape anymore. 
so hiking in the Andes for 5 days sounded a bit intimidating
but my excitement defiantly compensated for all the nervousness I had. 
We took off Sunday the 30th for Punta Arenas Chile 
(the last "big" city before you get to Antarctica)
once we got to the city we hoped on a bus headed north 3 hours for Puerto Natales Chile
this is the city that you have to go to get to the park
we spent our first two nights in an amazing hostel called Erratic Rock
its owned by 2 Americans and it had such a fun environment 
hands down the best hostel that I've stayed at here in South America.
On Monday we went to a talk about the park and rented all the gear we needed at our Hostel 
we got 2 tents, a camping stove, sleeping mats and our mess kit
packed our stuff up that night and headed out early Tuesday November 1st 
at this point my stomach was in knots.
I didn't know what to expect.
I had no clue how difficult or easy it would be
the unknown of the trail is what made it so scary fun for me!!
Day One:
 the first day in the park is a pretty short hike day
you have to take a boat to the start of the trail and then you hike for about 3 hours to 
Grey Glacier
this picture really doesn't do it justice. 
Its so beautiful 
This was the first glacier I've ever seen and I was blown away at how big it actually was
there were also ice burgs floating around in the lake 
when we saw the first one me and Tawni got super excited and let out a little shreek
we made it to camp got our tent set up and made dinner 
and enjoyed the free hot chocolate that the Refugio gave us
Day two:
started with a 
"ladies are you up"
from Jesse at about 8 am
(that was basically our wake up phrase for the week)
I had my breakfast of Oatmeal 
we packed up camp and headed out around 9 am
we had to hike the same trail back to the start that day it was fairly easy we knocked relatively fast
at the start we stopped for lunch. I had a "yummy" lunch that consisted of a 
cliff bar, peanut butter, a chewy bar and a snickers 
I know super delicious 
and it was for the first 2 days and then after that I was sick of it!!
during our lunch break it started to sprinkle a little bit but it was not super bad kinda felt good 
so we started out on the last 2 hours of the hike. 
about 30 minutes in it started full on raining
I was already in some weird mood and the rain just did it for me.
we made it throught only a little bit soaked
 we got to camp,set everything up 
and got dinner (ramen noodles) made and called it an early night
we were in our tents and in bed by 7 that night
day two was the day that we all agreed to be the hardest
we don't really know why
maybe it was the rain or maybe it was just a tough hike 
who really knows 


Day three:
was the day we were all looking forward to 
we got to leave out packs behind and head up to the highlight of the park
Valle del Frances
it was a really rocky hike up 
we passed two couples that told us good luck 
they had to turn around because the wind was so strong they couldn't make it
that was a really comforting thing to hear hiking up. 
we get about half way up the trail to a rock face and the wind was so so so strong
it was literally blowing me around. 
At one point I had to just squat down to keep from being blown over
we kept on and from there it got better for a while because we were in the woods 
and the trees helped keep the wind from reaching us.
to get the the Mirador you basically had to rock climb.
but when you go up there you were hit with some of the most stunning views you have ever seen
all around there were snow capped mountains and then in between two mountains
was a lake with the bluest water I have ever seen 
we even got a little bit of snow 
it was breath taking to stand up there 
in the middle of  Gods creation 
it was so perfect!!
we headed back down to camp got packed up and headed for our next stop
it was a super easy hike all down hill 
took up about 2 hours to get down to camp 
we got all set up 
we had a really cool little camp nook
we had out own little picnic table
we stayed at a Refugio that night to so we hung out in the lodge for a while just talking
and I caved in bought us liter of coke to share
I was having some serious coke with drawls at this point
day four:
this was the day I was dreading most
we had be warned that it was the hardest and longest
so all week all I could think was how could it get harder?
so when the morning came I was a bundle of nerves
we headed out around 9:30 
and much to my surprise we blew through the first part of the trail 
we estimated that it would take us about 4 hours and it only about 2 hours for us to reach 
the short cut to our camp
so at this point I was excited and ready to go because I thought that they were wrong
well we get about a hour and a half in to the short cut and things changed a bit
it started being all rocks and up hill
and for the next 2 hours we basically just climbed up the side of a mountian
it was super difficult and really hard for me 
this is the one point that I just knew I wouldn't make it any further 
I was discouraged and frustrated with myself for being so out of shape
but I made it through
we got to camp around 3 that day about 4 hours ahead of our estimated time.
that night we cooked dinner at 4 and then went to bed
because the next morning started super super super early!!


day five:
started at an early 3:30 am 
I don't really think I slept any that night just a few cat napes on and off
we got up and headed out at 4 am to head to the towers for sunrise
that was a hard little hike it was super dark 
I didn't eat anything before we headed out so I was super hungry and 
did I say it was 4 am?
so yea Tawni and I were both struggling up that trail.
we got up there around 5 am just as the sun was breaking over the mountains 
and boy was I blown away with the beauty that I saw
Seriously is God amazing or what
there is no other way to explanation something as beautiful as I saw up on that mountian
there were so many different colors 
the view changed ever minutes with different colors 
from shades of blues and purples to colors of oranges and reds
its was just absolutely stunning to watch!
we watched until  the sun was all the way up and around 7 am headed back to camp
we packed everything up for the last time
it was a bitter sweet moment
I was dirty from not showering the whole time,
tired from the lack of sleep throughout the week
and hungry
but sad because our time in the park was ending
it was our last time to hike the Patagonia 
we finished up with 2 hour hike mostly down the mountian to the fancy hotel in the park
were all the hikers heading out that day had to wait for the shuttle to take us to our buses


Hiking the Patagonia was 
hard
difficult 
and
challenging
but 
exhilarating
and 
amazing
I made it through with only a few minor bruises and a couple falls
I pushed myself harder than I ever had in my life
and I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life!!



More Pictures to come soon 


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...